I’ve been tackling the issue of coming up with the cost basis of the stock we sold last year when we bought our Tarpon Springs lot. If I were a great recordkeeper, this would be no problem, but I am not. Most of the stock was IBM stock, which I purchased over 16 years through the IBM Employee Stock Purchase Plan. I found the phone number of the company which handles this plan and decided it would be worth a phone call to see if they had my purchase history on file. It ended up being worth
FOUR FIVE phone calls — let me explain.
On the first phone call, the customer service lady told me that they did indeed have purchase history data for me — my heart SANG with joy…this was going to save me HOURS of research! She just needed me to verify the address that was on record for the account. It was the address we lived at from 1994-1998…I gave her the entire address except for the zip code, which I couldn’t recall. Well, this wouldn’t do, so I told her I would get the zip code and call back.
Since I was parked at K.’s school waiting to pick her up, I called hubby and he looked up the zip code for me. I hurriedly called the company back, this time getting a gentleman in customer service. I explained what had happened on the first call and that I now had the zip code. However, he informed me that he couldn’t find ANY historical information on me. He double-checked the spelling of my married name, my maiden name and the digits in my social security number, and still found nothing. I insisted that the other lady had said there was a history file for me. He looked some more and found three old IBM data files for me – 2 of which had no transactions and one which showed only a sale of 18 shares. Totally confused, I thanked him and hung up and stewed about it for a while. (To be continued…)