Let me tell you something about wallpaper…I hate it. In the course of my adult life, I have installed wallpaper, removed wallpaper, repaired wallpaper, and painted over wallpaper. I have decided that never, EVER again will we have a house that has even a smidgeon of wallpaper in it.
In order to get our current house to the “NO WALLPAPER” status, there is a TON of wallpaper that has to be removed…fully wallpapered bathrooms and wallpaper borders in the living room, dining room and master bedroom. I’ve begun with the master bedroom, since that’s the first room we’re renovating. I decided to use a solution made of DIF wallpaper stripper liquid concentrate, because I used it at our house in Orlando and it worked fairly well.
The first thing I did was to score the paper with a Zinnser PaperTiger scoring tool. It creates lots of perforations for the DIF to soak into.
The next thing I did was to spray the DIF solution onto the wallpaper, wetting it well…keeping up with the drips running down the wall was a real challenge – I went through a ton of paper towels!
After the initial application, I waited 15 minutes and reapplied the DIF again as per bottle instructions, and then began to scrape. This was where I began to lose my mind.
I had hoped that the wallpaper would peel up in big chunks, but it came off in little shreds – very frustrating and time-consuming!
I kept spraying on the DIF, trying to get off all the little pieces of paper and adhesive residue.
After I finally removed all the paper and adhesive, I had to rinse the area with water.
After a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and occasional cursing, I finally had a little section of wallpaper removed.
It was excruciating to work my way down the rest of that wall. As I rounded the corner to the next wall, I ran out of DIF solution and headed out to Home Depot. There just HAD to be a better way to get that wallpaper off. And there was… (to be continued)